Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Testing a top CEO's word





The Trump Card (book) has incredible memos from very influential people. Ivanka Trump calls these pages "Bulletins From My BlackBerry". Well, here's what I call "iPhone Gutsy Girl"

The above photo is a paragraph from Roger Ailes- President, Fox News Channel and what caught my eye was what he wrote on the bottom of page 47...

"The barriers to entry in any field are the ones you put up for yourself. There's always plenty of room at the top. The middle can get pretty crowded. The bottom can get pretty crowded. But at the top there's always room. I have about 1500 employees at Fox News, and every day I'm searching for a new producer. For someone great. Any one of my producers can step up at any time, and occasionally one of them does. And when that happens, I find a place for them in a heartbeat."

After getting the chills and turning the page, I couldn't concentrate on Ivanka- all I could think about was what Roger Ailes had said.

"yes, I googled" -confessions of a shopoholic.

I googled "Roger Ailes Fox Contact" and there is was: his blog and email address.

So I emailed:

Ok Mister,

I found what you wrote on page 47 quite inspiring.

I have been filming for 10 months. From carrying tripods and lights to casting, editing, color correcting and a back ache to prove it- All with the "just do it" attitude. I am ready to take it to the next level.

I especially love testing men of their word. I hope to hear back from you- as I really am one of those great producers you wrote of. Do you really look for us everyday?

I have come out of the wood work, so now what?

Have a fortuitous day!!

@christinaesther
Femmetrepreneur.blogspot.com
646.812.7383
--

A note on the "Ok Mister" decision. Remember all those times you hear or read about standing out, being a "gutsy girl" (cosmo girl) and especially being fearless?! Well, that is just what I decided to do to rattle his inbox- keeping in short, true to what I was thinking and enticing with no brown noseing or ass kissing in sight. Excuse the French. That's what a femmetrepreneur has to do: follow your instincts and just get it out without too much sweat and press send.

It didn't matter to me that he probably meant any one of his current 1500 employees could step up to be a great producer. Since it was so rare that one did, I though it couldn't hurt to just reach out. You never know how timing works.

It's not really the hope that he will sweep The Lights show off my hard drive- maybe Fox isn't the home for the show- It's the wonder if he'll get back to me. It's the notion that this man can pick up the phone and tell his respected colleague over at Oh, say, MTV or the CW and say "hey! you have to take a look at this". Or, maybe Just Maybe The Lights is JUST what Roger Ailes is looking for.


2 comments:

  1. Don't know how I stumbled onto your blog, but I LOVE your spunk. I'm the cougar of the fem-preneur...I'm a Mompreneur! I am tickled when I read this as our lateral thinking styles are similar. I put myself out there just like you, in crazy, outta the box ways. Hopefully one day, it will pan out...only takes one YES to change your trajectory, right? Go get em and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. One change. I am at the end of The Trump Card and she often writes handwritten notes to people she reads in the business press to build relationships. I think I am going to try this. Thank you for reading, it means SO much!

    ReplyDelete